Since I was a little girl, one of my favorite summer time treats has been homemade popsicles! Not only are they fun and easy to make with the kids, they always look super cute when they are finished and there are so many creative colour combinations you can make! I absolutely loved making these grapefruit and peach cream popsicles, especially because I just adore the soft pink and peachy hue! These are great for a casual, after dinner treat to enjoy in some perfect summer weather, but would also be an awesome addition for a party as you can match the popsicles to whichever colour palette your using! Hope you enjoy these homemade grapefruit and peach cream popsciles as much as I did!
Makes: 10 popsicles
Prep time: 15 minutes
Inactive time: Overnight
Cook time: 5 minutes
– 1 cup of segmented grapefruit (I used about 4 large grapefruit and squeezed our all the extra juice)
– ½ cup of simple syrup * (see recipe below, also feel free to use a bit less! Or another sweetener of your choice)
Coconut Cashew Cream
– 1 cup of raw cashews
– filtered water for soaking the cashews
– 2/3 cup of filtered water
– 2 tsp vanilla extract (you could use the seeds from a vanilla bean as well)
– ½ cup of coconut cream*
– 3 tbsp. of simple syrup, agave or maple syrup. You can also lower this amount if you would like it less sweet.
1. Cover the cashews with filtered water and let soak overnight.
2. Drain the cashews and place them in a blender along with the 2/3 cup of filtered water, vanilla and simple syrup. Blend on high for about 2-3 minutes to get it nice and smooth. Add in the coconut cream (*I leave my can in the fridge and let the water separate from the cream, I scoop out the cream and use the water in smoothies!) Once it is all blended, place in a container that will be easy to poor out of.
3. Rinse the blender well
4. Cut the grapefruit into segments and place in the bender along with the simple syrup, blend on high for about 2 minutes until nice and pureed.
5. I like to add some sliced Grapefruit into the popsicles to make the pop! Simply cut of the skin and rind off the grapefruit and slice into rounds and then in half.
6. Arrange some slices into the popsicle molds and add the grapefruit puree about half way up. Top with the cashew coconut cream, poor gently so that you can create layers.
7. If you are using the mold similar to the one we used than you can place the popsicle sticks in right away.
8. Freeze for about 6-8 hours
9. Dip the mold in hot water to help and release the popsicles.
1 cup of cane sugar
1 cup of water
1. Boil until the sugar dissolves, let cool and keep in the refrigerate in a sealed container for up to two weeks. (can be used in cocktails etc.)
Peaches and Cream Variation
– Same cashew coconut cream recipe as above
– 2 cups of white peaches (that is what we used but feel free to use whatever fresh peaches you can!)
– 1/4- 1/2 cup of simple syrup tastes after ¼ and see if the sweetness is enough for you.
1. Wash up the fruit, cut in half and remove the pit. Leaving the skin on helps to make the pretty color.
2. Cut the peaches into smaller pieces and place in the blender with the simple syrup. Blend on high for about 2 minutes until you get a nice smooth puree (We strained the mixture but feel free to omit this step). Add in the coconut cashew cream and mix well.
3. Poor the mixture into the popsicle maker and freeze.
Play around with the fruit, cherries, oranges strawberries. Really anything would work well just make a puree with fruit and some simple syrup and add the coconut cashew cream. Enjoy!!!
Recipe by Erin, MH Food Contributor.
-SHOP THE POST-