I’ve been obsessed with adding this delicious home made nut mylk to my morning coffee. Many of you were interested and requested this recipe after I posted it on my Instagram stories, so here it is! Eliminating dairy has really helped my gut health and why I try my best to stick to almond and cashew milks all together. This nut mylk recipe is a healthy alternative to your traditional coffee creamer or steamed milk.
Making your own nut mylk is so simple and surprisingly creates the most amazing froth. Thanks to the balance between the cashews and almonds, it’s mylk results in the perfect constancy when used with a frother. It has a light and smooth consistency, with an added sweetness from the added date. You’ll appreciate how easy it is to whip up. Enjoy!
1 cup (250 mL) raw cashews
1 cup (250 mL) sliced almonds
Filtered water to cover
3 cups (750 mL) filtered water
1 medjoole date pitted
2 tsp (10 mL) maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) vanilla extract
1/2 tsp ( 2 mL) ground cinnamon
1. Place the cashews and almonds in a container filled with filtered water. Let soak for 12 hours or overnight.
2. When ready, drain the nuts and rinse well.
3. Place the soaked almonds and cashews in a high power blender with the other ingredients (3 cups filtered water, date, maple syrup, vanilla extract and cinnamon). Blend on high for 2-3 minutes.
4. Strain your blended mixture through a nut milk bag. Fill into an airtight container. The milk should last you for up to three days.
5. Remember to give it a good shake before frothing or pouring into your coffee.
MH Tip: Save the leftover pulp and place in smoothies.