Yes! You hear right, Apple & CHEDDAR pie! The perfect balance between salty and sweet, this delicious apple cheddar pie is an updated version of a traditional English classic. The all-butter pie dough is dotted with shredded cheddar cheese, accompanied by a tart and lightly sweet filling. The sweet filling pairs beautifully with the sharp cheddar cheese, creating a golden and buttery dessert. Your family and dinner guests will love it. It’s easy to make and have you wanting another piece. Serve warm with a drizzle of honey- and my personal favourite, a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
Apple & Cheddar Pie
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 3 hours
Bake Time: 55-65 minutes
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 tsp granulated sugar (omit if making this for a savory pie)
Pinch of salt
1 cup of unsalted butter, cubed or grated
⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese (We love Armstrong Triple Cheddar Shredded Cheese in this recipe!)
⅓ cup ice water (more if needed)
4-5 Granny Smith apples
4-5 Honey Crisp apples or similar
Juice of one lemon
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup corn starch
2 tbsp unsalted butter
- For The Dough
- 1. In a large bowl place the flour, sugar, and salt; stir.
2. Using either a cheese grater or pastry blender, cut in the butter. You want to have small “pea” sized shaped pieces dispersed in the flour. Add in the grated cheese and mix again.
3. Add in the water little by little, bringing the dough together with your hands and folding it over top of itself. The dough should be just coming together. Add a little more water if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
4. Divide the dough into two discs. Flatten and wrap in plastic wrap, then chill in the fridge for at least three hours before rolling out.
5. Choose a 10” pie dish of your choice. We used this one from our new collection from MH Home!
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and let stand for 10-12 minutes before rolling out.
7. Lightly dust your countertop with flour and roll the first dough out to a ¼” thick round. Line your chosen pie dish with the dough, ensuring you press into the corners of the dish.
8. Roll out the second disc into a nice flat round, place on a parchment-lined sheet, and put in the refrigerator with the prepaid pie dish to rest and chill for at least 20-30 minutes.
9. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
For The Filling
1. Peel, core, and thinly slice your apples. Place in a large bowl.
2. Sprinkle over the sugar and brown sugar, mix well, then add the lemon juice and mix.
3. Add in the cornstarch and thoroughly mix. Remove your pie shell and top from the refrigerator, place the filling in, then lay the top piece of dough on over the filling.
4. Crimp the edges to seal. We cut a star-shaped pattern in the top of the pie (to help the steam escape).
5. Place on a baking sheet and into the oven. Bake for 55-60 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Serve with a drizzle of honey if desired.
The pie will keep for 2-3 days in a sealed container. Alternatively, you can freeze it for up to two months.