Oh, Hawaii! Isn’t it one of the most perfect destination to escape these spring showers and spend some quality time with family! We traveled to Maui last month with Liam (almost 5) and Lilly (2) and had the most amazing time. It was truly one of my favorite family trips yet! The kids were at the perfect age where we could all just enjoy the beautiful beaches, landscapes, and weather. We had a blast!
Since we returned home I’ve received a lot of questions about sharing my tips on traveling with kids and how to make the most of a family vacation. Investing your time and hard-earned money is no joke, so you want to make your family vacation the best yet! Here are my best tips for planning a trip to Maui below. Including the hotel we stayed at- That we just LOVED!
- 1. Pack water safety items for the kids. Water wings, life jackets, and floaties. You don’t want to be running around town looking for these items when all your kids can think about is hitting the pool! Our pool rule is that the kids have to always be wearing their “life savers.” It really eases my anxiety while at the pool. See what I use for Lilly & Liam.
2. Invest in a really good sunscreen! You might have watched my Instagram stories while we were on our trip. I had so many of you mommas asking about my favorite sun protection for the kids. My answer is Coola Sunscreen (including mineral), hands down. I’ve been using their products for almost two years now and I can’t say enough good things! When you are outside in the hot sun every waking hour on your vacation I think it’s worth investing in good sun care. It’s true: Their products aren’t cheap, but they are honestly worth every penny. My kids never ever, ever burned which is a big deal! I applied it 3-4 times a day when they were being little fish, playing in the water all day. My favorite is the SPF 30 Sunscreen Spray in Pina Colada. It lasts a long time too! I love it because it WORKS and it’s a clear, non-aerosol, naturally scented SPF spray. I promise you’ll love it! I’ve had so many of you message me to say you ended up trying it and will never go back! For myself, I use their BB cream, SPF 30 Mineral Face Matte in Cucumber, Makeup Setting Spray, and I just tried their After Sun Lotion and Troy and I both LOVEEED it!
3. Find a family-friendly hotel. And when I mean family-friendly, I’m not just talking for the kids but for the adults too! I think it’s important to find a hotel that’s not only welcoming to your little ones but also has the peacefulness available for the adults! I can’t tell you how many times we’ve traveled to a hotel and were so overwhelmed with the noise and busyness of kids and families. Troy and I have found that if you can find that happy medium that caters to both, it makes your stay a lot less stressful and gives you so much more patience when dealing with your own children.
This trip we stayed at the Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui’s Wailea coast. This resort was more than we hoped for. It was beyond welcoming to the kids. From a welcome dessert, toys and Honest baby products waiting for the kids prior to our arrival to the hotel room to a fresh-pressed juice and energy bar to Troy and me, we were impressed by their hospitality! (We also asked for a crib for Lillya to help with those afternoon naps! ) The resort, grounds, and beach are simply gorgeous, featuring multiple pools for adults and kids with amazing restaurants and snack bars! We truly had the most wonderful time and will most definitely be returning. We also appreciated the friendly staff and not-too-overcrowded pools and facilities.
- 4. Plan, but don’t over plan. I like to get a few things checked off my list when traveling to new destinations — especially highly recommended restaurants and activities. But I don’t let plans overtake our time together. Here are 5 things we enjoyed and might have visited more than once.
- * Leoda’s Kitchen & Pie Shop: Try the fried brussel sprout salad and banana cream pie. Sooo good!!!
- * Trilogy Sailing & Whale Watching: A truly breathtaking experience.
- * Humble Market Kitchen Restaurant: Great view, delicious food, kid-friendly.
- * Flatbread Company Paia Maui: Unbelievable pizza and flatbreads.
* Baby Beach: Great for the little kids, no waves and very calm!
* Aloha Mixed Plate: Relaxed restaurant vibe, with an amazing happy hour!
5. Take lots of pictures. They don’t have to be perfect, but it’s crazy how we’ll post on Instagram and see so many photographs but don’t always take a ton of photos while we’re enjoying vacations. Snap photos and record videos of the memorable moments as they happen. You’ll never regret taking more photos — especially when you’re with your kids.
Lillya’s & Liam’s Rash Guards