The kitchen really is the heart of the home; it’s where you gather each day to share a meal with your family, talk about your day and connect with each other. From early morning breakfasts and cozy dinners to hosting family gatherings, birthday parties and those last minute gathering that seem never to leave the kitchen (those are my favourite); We really made endless memories in this kitchen with our family and friends. This is why the kitchen is my favourite area in the home and why it deserves attention to detail and beautiful design.
If you are embarking upon designing your kitchen space, whether it be a renovation or starting from a new build here are some tips that I have learned from this past home build and what I am doing differently in our new home.
- 1. How will your kitchen function in your home? Do you love to entertain and host large gatherings? If you’re like me, then that’s a big YES! An open floorpan and kitchen that is inviting with a large island and counter space will make your entertaining dreams come true! If you are able to, go for the large island- I promise you won’t regret it!
2. Don’t be afraid to splurge on gorgeous details to really make your kitchen unique to your personal style. Start with cabinet color, light fixtures, plumbing such as a faucet(s) and a pot filler (game changer btw) and hardware. These key elements will make a big impact to the look and design. All our metal finishes (hardware, faucets and lighting) are polished nickel; I get this question a lot!
3. Add design elements that add textures, materials and tones such as hardwood floors ( I used Oak Hardwood), shiplap (you’ll notice I added this to the ceiling), tile ( from counter all the way up and around the doors and windows to the ceiling) and stone/ marble. This add interest and character to your kitchen.
4. Yes or no to marble? There is no denying that I love marble. I love the look, the feel and character it brings to a kitchen. There are so many different types or marble that can suit your taste. In this kitchen I went with a classic Calacatta marble called Colorado Golden in a honed finish. Marble is more high maintenance, however when protected properly and cared for it was wonderful to have in our home. Some people might not want that additional worry of a porous and softer stone, quartz counter tops are a great alternative that look just as beautiful!
5. Window Treatments. Don’t forget about the kitchen when it comes to window treatments. If you have a large beautiful window I suggest adding a statement roman blind. In our kitchen, I chose a stunning Schumacher Linen buffalo check fabric. It really finished off the entire design, I loved it!
6. I suggest choosing a great statement stool! I always get so many questions about these stools we had in the kitchen, they were both timeless and classic and I still love the design so much. A functional and beautiful runner at the foot of your sink or stove, baskets and decorative details placed throughout your kitchen.
7. Lastly. Take some time to consider what appliances you put in your kitchen. There are stunning options at different price points that really add to your wow factor. I could talk about stoves and ranges all day… but I’ll let you get lost in that rabbit hole over on Pinterest! We chose Thermador Appliances which were not only gorgeous but functionally just perfect!
I hope these photos give you some inspiration and help you create your dream kitchen no matter what space you are in! All the brands and deals are listed at the bottom of this post.
Photography by Tracey Ayton
Hardwood Flooring: Diving Flooring
Appliances: Thermador through Coast Appliances
Sink and Faucet & Pot Filler: Kohler
Marble Countertops: Margranite
Cabinetry: Nickles Cabinets
Tile: World Mosaic Tiles
Roman Shade: Q Design Centre