Bring whimsical and refined charm to your brunch table this Mother’s Day with a beautifully baked COBS Bread brunch. I created this tablescape that exudes warmth by layering modern pieces with old world influence. To easily bring together a table that is sure to impress, use antique silverware, your grandma’s much-loved china, and anchor it together with a feminine tablecloth. Make sure to include any heirloom serving dishes on the table for an added vintage element. For a delicious spread, I headed to my local location and picked up my favourite baked goods. The selection is amazing and their handcrafted breads and treats are made fresh every morning.
Since my kids have a sweet tooth, I created a decadent French toast using their Apricot Delight Log. This bread is already filled with beautiful dried apricots, currants, and raisins, and I added extra notes of vanilla and cardamom in the mixture. Plate the French toast on a bed of yogurt and top with seasonal berries; the tartness and acidity of the yogurt complement the sweetness of the bread nicely.
The savoury dish I created for the table was an airy and light chicken, fig, and brie focaccia sandwich. I gathered together fresh baby spinach and arugula and spread the focaccia with fig preserves and a thin layer of mayo on the top. I used their Rosemary & Sea Salt Focaccia as a base, and its crisp crust and blend of herbs balanced the ingredients of the sandwich so well while adding depth of flavour. Place a toothpick in the middle of each sandwich and tie a ribbon on top for a special little touch.
I don’t think any Mother’s Day table is really complete without a good selection of scones. Scones are the perfect accompaniment for serving with coffee and tea during the meal, so be sure to pick up your mom’s favourites (and yours too!). My family loves the lemon blueberry ones! It reminds me of a traditional lemon pound cake but with wild blueberries, white chocolate chips, and a layer of lemon icing.
I also picked up their Berry & White Chocolate Scones, which adds a nice pop of colour to the table and is the best balance of sweet and tart. A fun way for kids to enjoy their scones is to crumble them over yogurt. COBS Bread has so many other incredible flavours, including Strawberry Passion Fruit, Cinnamon, Cheese & Chive. They come packed in boxes, so they make a thoughtful gift to leave on the doorstep of your friends.
Chicken, Fig & Brie Focaccia Sandwiches
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1x COBS Bread Rosemary & Sea Salt Focaccia
2-3 cooked or grilled chicken breast
1 package of prosciutto
Sliced brie cheese
A couple of handfuls of baby spinach or arugula
Mayo if desired
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- 2. Cut the focaccia in half and place cut side up on a baking sheet, toast in the preheated oven for around 5-6 minutes until lightly browned.
- 3. Liberally spread the fig preserves over the bottom half of the focaccia. Next, add in a layer of sliced brie cheese, the sliced chicken, and prosciutto. Top with a small amount of baby spinach or arugula.
- 4. If desired spread a thin layer of mayo on the top portion of the focaccia. Cut into the desired size portion.
- For an added special touch, adorn each sandwich with a toothpick and add a small tied ribbon for the perfect finish!
*You can make the sandwiches a few hours in advance and leave them in the fridge until ready to serve.
Apricot, Cardamom and Vanilla French toast
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 x COBS Bread Apricot Delight Log
5 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
2 tbsp pure vanilla extract or paste
Pinch of lemon zest if desired
Pinch of salt
4-6 Tbsp unsalted butter for cooking
- 1. In a large shallow dish, beat eggs and egg yolk with a whisk. Add in the sugar, cardamom, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt. Add milk and cream and beat until combined.
- 2. In a large heavy skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of butter over medium-high until melted and starting to gently brown.
- 3. Cut the bread into thick slices and working one at a time dip each slice into the egg mixture to coat and add to the skillet. Depending on the size of your skillet cook 2-3 slices at a time.
- 4. Cook until golden brown and slightly crispy on each side, around 5 minutes per side. If browning too quickly slightly turn down your heat.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and repeat with remaining slices, adding in more butter to the skillet as needed.
*We love to serve ours with fresh berries, natural yogurt, and a touch of maple syrup if desired.
Thank you to COBS Bread for sponsoring this post! Make sure to check out your local location this Mother’s Day.